Meeting Your Internet Needs and Answering Your Questions
At Mosaic Telecom, we understand that you might have questions about how our Internet services work. We also know that sometimes you just want to have quick access to the answers to those questions. That's why we've provided a list of our most Frequently Asked Questions when it comes to our Internet services. If you still don't see what you're looking for, please give us a call!
- How do I register or move a domain name?
There are a handful of companies that domains can be registered through. We use and recommend Network Solutions. The cost for a domain name is $25-$35 which covers the registration fee for the first year. You will be billed from the registration company each year thereafter. Before you register a domain you want to ask yourself, "Who do I want to host the domain?" The company that hosts the domain is the company that carries the traffic, stores the web site and publishes it to the Internet. How you register the domain will depend on who is hosting your domain.
If you would like to register a new domain please contact us. To check the availability of a domain name go to Whois on Network Solution's web site.
If you have a domain that you would like to move to Mosaic Telecom, the following information must appear in your domain record:
- Technical Contact: NIC Handle: 31573849I
- Primary Domain Server Name: ns1.chibardun.net
- Primary Domain Server Address: 188.8.131.52
- Secondary Domain Server Name: ns2.chibardun.net
- Secondary Domain Server Address: 184.108.40.206
- How do I upload files to my domain web site?
- 1. The first step is to establish a connection to the Internet.
- 2. Open your FTP program. Filezilla is the ftp program being used in this example.
- 3. Enter your domain name (www.yourdomainname .com) in the Host field.
- 4. Enter the Username and Password provided to you.
- 5. Select Quickconnect to establish the connection between your computer and the web server.
- 6. Once you are connected to the web server, the FTP window will be divided in two frames. The Local Site is the files on your computer and the Remote Site is your files on our web server.
- 7. Under Local Site, navigate to where your website files are located on your computer. Highlight the web page files that you want to upload to the web server then drag them to the Remote Site to upload the files. Upload all files to the www folder. The file name for the first page of your web site MUST be index.html.
If you can't view your website, make sure that the file for the first page of your site is named index.html (all lowercase letters). Also, all files should be in the www folder on the Remote Site.
HTML is case sensitive. This means that if your file is called: Picture.jpg, your URL must be typed exactly the same way. Many people store all of their files in lower case letters to make things easier to remember.
Make sure your picture files end with either .jpg or .gif to be viewable on the Internet.
- What is a domain name?
Domain names are words used to identify specific organizations or computers on the Internet. The domain name contains at least two words separated by a period. For example: Mosaic Telecom’s domain is mosaictelecom.com. Most domain names end with .com .net or .org. Letters, numbers and a hyphen are the only valid characters that can be used in a domain name. The number of characters you can use in your domain name is a total of 67, including the extension .COM, .NET, .ORG. "www." and http://www. are not considered part of your domain. No two people or organizations can have the same domain name. To manage that, we have to purchase our domain names through a registrar.